Thread: Quasar VR-1000
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice to see a thread about the VR-1000. My father bought one new in the 1970s, plus the timer. Guess he thought it would catch on, but VHS had other plans. He has about 35 tapes, unfortuantely many got moldy in a basement flood in the late 90s. We still have the tapes but no way of knowing how to get them unstuck (tape baking?). I think his most memorable tape is Superbowl XX (the classic '85 bears). Though the timer broke way before my time, I was able to find one new in box on ebay a few years ago and now use it as a clock on my shelf. its got that classic aluminum face finish.

He kept the machine all these years, even though at some point in the 90s it stopped playing tapes. I've on-and-off worked on it the past 7 years trying out my knowledge at figuring out what the issue is. I did find a crack in the PCB that was causing the drive motor to not function which was a major breakthrough for me. (I posted this on audiokarma in 2015, which was the last time i I had a chance to work on it)

Dont mean to hijack this thread however this is so close to the top of list i figure there's no point in having TWO Time Machine threads up. This week I took it out again, looking back at the schematic/SM to go point by point. Right now my issue is the SOLENOIDS are not activating. I dont know if its a transistor fault, or a 12V fault (one of the legs on the transistor does not read 12V when it should), or a leaky cap, or what. Only 1 main solenoid is working (there's about 6)

I picked one to start with - I believe the brake solenoid should be ON during playback (pulls away brake pad from roller when solenoid is activated)

So Looking at the moment at TR924. (S is standby, P is play mode, R is Rec mode * is RWD/FFD). in P, i get 0V from C leg. E and B read fine. I took the transistor out and tested it and it "seems" ok.
on the schematic, i am getting 23V from pin H10-3 to the Solenoid.
If the C leg is not getting the 12v how far back in the line do i need to go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1568094190304.jpg (144.1 KB, 22 views)