View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is subjective of course, but yes, most of those are generally considered bad games.

If you notice, the majority of these titles are western games. I hate to say it, but western developers during that time made abysmal console games. For whatever reason, they just didn't seem to understand what made these games fun. I can only think of two western developers that made good games for Japanese 8/16 bit video game consoles and those are Rare and LucasArts. Even those can be questionable. Look at Battletoads by Rare. One of the most technically advanced games for the system, without a doubt. I won't take that away from it. But is it fun? When was the last time that you had fun playing Battletoads? Probably the very first time that you tried it. After that, unless you're 1 out of a million people who can beat that game, you just repeated the first two boring levels over and over. That game has 13 levels and only a small handful of people have ever seen more than 3.

A lot of western titles and a lot of games on the list you posted are licensed games. The developer gets paid usually more than they would to make their own titles, just to slap a piece of software on a name. It hardly matters how good it is. That hasn't changed too much today although the internet does make it harder for shitty software to hide.

If you're just getting into the whole idea of bad NES games, you should check out someone by the name of Angry Video Game Nerd or AVGN. He is the one who popularized the idea of online videos making fun of bad video games and the idea of classic game reviewing in general. I know there were some doing reviews before him like Classic Game Room, but AVGN really made it mainstream. Now everybody under the age of 40 wants to make game review videos. AVGN's schtick is all about bad games and some of his videos are hilarious. I recommend starting from the beginning as the earlier ones are generally the funniest and most connected to his personal experiences and opinions.

If you like getting a few friends together, having some drinks and cracking jokes at bad movies, then you might enjoy playing some bad games. I've had more fun with some horrible titles than I have with most half decent ones. Some I've enjoyed are Alf for Sega Master System, Cliffhanger for NES, and Earnest Evans on Sega Genesis. Just do it with friends though as any of those games will just be an exercise in frustration without people to make jokes with.

I think in general, most games are probably bad. Over half of the games for NES aren't worth playing. It's better than Atari though. That was the Wild West of software development. Whatever crap you can shovel!