View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

We still have a privately owned set of trails outside of town that bought surplus fluorescent streetlights about 20 years ago. They are quite spectacular. I ended up buying two from them as they are starting to replace them with LED heads as their ballasts and bulbs fail. They are made by a Canadian company called Powerlite who also installed fluorescent all over Toronto's highway network back in the day.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../CGS_7792a.jpg

We have a few places in town that still have fluorescent lamps out in their parking lots however there's only two I regularly see working. One is outside the oversize wash bay of a car wash and another is at the back of a subdivided car dealership-turned modular home retailer. Our city has otherwise not run fluorescent lighting streetside since the late 60's. You can still however see the old lamp standards along the two main drags. They don't hang over the road as much as fluorescent was much more directional.
I have always wondered how you make fluorescent lamps give out any useful level of light when it's -25c out. I think someone once mentioned you could get lamps fitted with a heater and thermostat to keep the bulbs warmer so they would strike better.

Last edited by MIPS; 06-02-2018 at 06:43 PM.