View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 03:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
Tell me how else I get a wooden radio in an undamaged, un-crushed container that has it's whole face pushed in as if it took a good blow from a sledge. Then I get a total refund without question or complaint, or even the pictures I offered. I'm not complaining as I didn't get hurt. I got a good, working, shortwave 1930s chassis for free. I don't understand that at all. It would seem that USPS would require some sort of evidence. Anyone can drum up photos these days. Heck $20 bills for that matter! LOL!
I have relatives that used to work for UPS (a USPS contractor IIRC). They described how on truck loading and unloading they would toss packages person to person in bucket brigade like fashion, and if the package looked heavy they would simply choose not to catch it....That was 20+ years ago. Now there is much more automated package sorting machines that drop boxes 2'+ often onto their corners or smaller packages, etc.

Case in point: I bought a 1962-3 SC tin can monochrome Zenith from a guy through a classified ad on the ETF. It had been the guy's parents' set, had been lovingly cared for, and he was giving it away (for the cost of shipping since I was not local) to see it go to a good home. He packed it well 4"+ of bubble wrap and a sturdy box (he would have double boxed it but for that with just the single box it was at the USPS size limit) ,remote and knobs sent separately, etc.....The box had a tiny amount of almost un-noticable damage on the side....The set had a quarter-ish sized dent in the side of it's sturdy Steel cabinet. The box must have been dropped on something like a steel pole to do that. Given how the guy I bought it from was (I talked with him on the phone a few times) I do NOT believe that he would have damaged the set like that.....He even bothered to send me the instructions and dealer hang tag when he found them a year later.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4