View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
etype2,

Your points are well taken, but also consider that some of the sets in those stores may have actually been strictly for demo purposes. J.L. Hudson's, Detroit's flagship department store (and at one time the second largest in the world behind Macy's) had numerous 15G based sets on display in 1954. A period ad on microfiche at the Detroit Public Library lists Majestic and Raytheon-Belmont as among the manufacturers with a set at Hudson's. To my knowledge no examples of either survive, so it isn't unreasonable to conclude they were probably prototypes not destined for the public.

Is it possible that Beacon TV was lent the Admiral, with the understanding that it NOT be sold?
Ben,

Very good information about J.L. Hudson. I grew up in Milwaukee and remember that store.

Consider what the Beacon TV's advertisement said "100% trade-in allowance toward color television on any new set purchased from us now".

I believe this is very good evidence that the set was indeed for sale. Do I think the Admiral set displayed at that time was a "loaner"? Very possible. I do believe Beacon TV was taking purchase orders and if executed, to my mind that constitutes a "sale".

Last edited by etype2; 11-17-2016 at 02:22 PM. Reason: To clarify: "if executed"