Thread: Rca 6T54
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsuttle View Post
I'm happy to report that the flyback, power transformer, and yoke all appear to check out. However, it seems that 80% of the capacitors in this were "replaced" in the 60's, though they are all just tack soldered onto the connections. (A few had broken off as well)

I was referring to the other models in the 6TXX family. Correct me if I'm wrong but every other model (6T64, 6T65, 6T71, 6T74, 6T75, 6T76) was a console which shared most electronic components. I was just noting that this seems a little large for a tabletop model. I think she had the stand, but I free is free and I didn't want to ask.

It's intresting, almost every non RCA tube that had been replaced was bad and every RCA tube was good. I've never noticed that in sets, but do certain tubes tend to wear out faster than others?
The non-RCA tubes were probably the failure prone types that would have been replaced during the service life of a set. It's very common to see a different horizontal output tube, different vertical output tube, different HV rectifier, different LV rectifiers, a different 6SN7 in the Synchro-Guide circuit, etc

Detector diodes, RF/IF pentodes, the oscillator and mixer in the tuner, etc, were all taxed much less in use and tended to last a much longer time in service. One of my 630 clones has what I believe to be all original tubes; except for the HOT and the HV rectifier.