View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 07:49 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Do not know. If the part numbers match up..

Problem is you can probably buy a used camera that works for what the shipping cost would be to send it to you!
I'll have to open my FD90 to see what it has inside it, and if the existing drive can be fixed. What you say about finding another unit may be true, but I'd rather not gut a working Mavica for parts if I can absolutely help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Mine didn't give me any problems either for the first 30 years of use. Then one day upon power-On, *pop* smoke ... dead.
Yikes! I'll definitely have to open it up at some point for inspection. Right now, it's sitting on The Pile™ waiting for me to find a new use for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Am I wrong, but there where also video cameras using MiniDisc?
Anyway, for whom presented interes this early digital cameras, since the image was not so good - even a cheap film compact camera could offer a good image.
There are a couple of models of "MD Discam" listed on this page, though I'm not sure if any of them made it to the US market, or how well they sold if they did. Sony was known for trying all sorts of weird videocam ideas, like the infamous Ruvi..........

And yes, I think we're all aware of the inferiority of early digital cameras vs. film, but if you wanted to get an image of something onto a computer for some reason, you didn't have much choice unless you felt like scanning photos or negatives, which had its own issues. The Mavicas made this quite easy, given that removable media was far from typical in digital cameras of that era, and direct connection methods were very slow and tedious in the pre-USB 2.0 era.
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors