View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 11:54 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

More!

I was not content to stop at having a waveform, as the next day dawned. Something about finding life in a 56 year old chassis gets me going, call me crazy. So after finding the horizontal oscillator working, I decided to pump as many new caps as I could find into critical circuits to see what else I could get. I ended up doing everything on the 2 PCB's, everything in the vertical oscillator, everything in the horizontal oscillator, and a few other random caps just to exhaust my supply. I'm now totally out of .047's, .022's, .01's, and the 'lytic bin took a good hit as well.

Turns out the vertical section is just fine as well, though the 6AQ5 running the show tests barely into the green scale on the tube tester. I'll have to get a fresh one before attempting to run a CRT. As you can see in the first 2 pics, I did a whole lot of recapping. Took me the better part of the day to get to this point, my back is killing me. I'm way ahead of the power curve as a result though, I figure there's only about 2 more days of recapping to the matrix section (3rd pic), and the chassis will be 100% free of PIO's.

Tidbit: every single paper cap in this chassis was made by Dumont...strange?
Most were MicaMold labeled made by Dumont, a few were were Aerovox and 'MicoMould'. I left the ElMenco micas in place, as every one I tested was within tolerance. I'll probably get to those at a later date, when I'm not so tired of capacitors.

The one bad part I found so far was a video peaking coil that had split it's case all the way around. The wires inside were eaten by corrosion, so it's toast. If I can't get another one, I'll have to wind one with the help of my brother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3097.JPG (126.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3098.JPG (120.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3099.jpg (135.0 KB, 127 views)