View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Gonna be HARD to find those. I'm watching that ebay one myself... It's hard to find one that the handle hasn't been chipped off in the corners. I want TWO sets to keep ONE in good nic.....and I can't really find just the three modules on their own. I have mine up and running, but it's still real finicky and I have to play with horizontal/vertical every fifteen minutes or so. Those four knobs in back seem REAL brittle and I have broken two of them now. They don't stand up to being taken on and off the shafts too many times. They still look fine on the set, but they are wrapped up in shrink tubing underneath where the shafts go :-(

I did find some guy on ebay that sold me six real nice shiny chrome metal knobs that WOULD fit, but they are of course wrong looking (GOOD looking, and would match the nice chrome strips...but not right). I've not tried fitting those yet to see how good they would look. They are big heavy ones...look VERY similar to the "pull on" knobs of the later Trinitrons. I have only recapped about half the set so far with the caps that were not difficult to find. I have no capacitor checker yet...so didn't really want to molest the set by recapping the WHOLE thing yet. It's MUCH MUCH better than the horizontal instability/vertical linearity mess it was when I got it. I still get an odd audio static "fit" every half hour or so that sounds like someone messing with a dirty volume pot...and it does it on it's OWN for like a minute out of every half hour. it isn't a dirty pot though. Something is still up with that board in back (sound/IF).

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-21-2012 at 07:40 AM.