View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

There was a pizza place in the next town east of my old neighborhood that, in the '70s, had an AMI "Stereo-Parti" 45-rpm jukebox, lots of lights. Round "bubble" top, the turntable and records were visible through the bubble. This box also had an indicator that would show if the record selection was odd or even; this indicator was on a curved arm that encircled the turntable (at least halfway, IIRC). I don't know anything about the amplifier, but it sounded fairly good. The place had several jukeboxes before the AMI, one of which was a full-size Seeburg.This place, however, never had a box with the remote control heads that allowed record selections from a customer's table or booth. The AMI box probably lasted and worked well right up to the end, when the pizza parlor finally went out of business; I'll never know now, as I had left town by the time the place closed for good.

BTW, I always wondered what the "TT" (the second T was inverted) position at the far left end of the record selection bar on most older (1950s-'70s) jukeboxes was used for. Was this a test position for the record selector mechanism? Did the technicians who worked on these have a special control box that would force the turntable carriage, which often had the manufacturer's name on a cover in front of it in script (on boxes so equipped) to the TT position for test purposes? I bet VK member AUdubon5425 (Ryan) would know about this, as he services coin-operated amusement machines (jukeboxes, video arcade games, etc.); however, the boxes he works on probably don't have mechanical turntables or record selection systems, instead having Internet connectivity and the ability to store and play mp3s -- this being the 21st century, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. However, I'd be very surprised if any of today's video arcades or restaurants still have the old-style mechanical jukeboxes. I imagine most of them were scrapped years or decades ago, except for those boxes now in the hands of collectors.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 11-22-2011 at 01:15 PM.