View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 10:30 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVBeeGee View Post
Yes, I think so, Electronic M. Sadly, it was too long ago and I was too young then to remember the brand of the monitor now from memory, but I had a look at my higher resolution version of the photo. Although fuzzy, two blurry words can be seen on the same line, printed in white on the rear apron, that have the size and shape of the Setchell Carlson brand. I think you got it right.

What I do remember is that it looked pretty bad. It was on a roll around cart and was moved almost constantly, without degaussing, and was also adjusted by the floor crew to allow the talent to see the image in the glare of the studio lighting. It was only there to let them have some idea about what type of shot was on the air. I do remember that the saturation was set extremely high, to the point where the CRT was being overdriven and smearing. But the monitors in the control room looked quite good. Those were probably Conrac and adjusted only by the engineers.

At age thirteen, I found it quite fascinating that WCHS-TV had only one color camera, one color film island, and two color quadruplex VTRs. (One VTR was either an RCA TR-22, or TR-70, while the other was a TR-60, I think.) I had recently visited several other stations that had 2-3 times that much equipment. So, I was really surprised that WCHS-TV was able to do as much as they were doing with only a bare minimum of color gear. Their maintenance engineers must have been under enormous pressure. They had to fall back to their old B&W equipment if anything at all died.

I also remember a whole rack of sync generator. They still had a vacuum tube sync gen (RCA?) that was apparently new enough to output a color subcarrier reference. I was impressed that they kept a frequency counter on it to monitor the subcarrier reference. It was the first freq counter I ever saw. It displayed the 3.579545 mHz carrier frequency on Nixie tubes. The engineer explained that the FCC required them to keep the frequency within five cycles of the ideal. I think it was two cycles high when we looked at it. That degree of accuracy blew me away at age 13. I never forgot it. I walked away thinking, "This broadcast stuff is amazing. I guess that's why it's so expensive."
I think I have that model sans the back cover. They sold it under their own name and rebadged under other names. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...etchel+Carlson

They can perform VERY nicely when adjusted properly. One interesting Quirk of these SC sets and monitors is that despite having degaussing it is not automatic. It's driven off the boost line and needs to be manually opperated with a pushbutton.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4