View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 PM
M is for Memory

Sooo, a few hours ago while waiting for my birthday dinner to be ready a neighbor knocked on the door to inform us that the lights of our car were on...Guess which one?

That trailer brake controller wasn't the fix, and I think I may now have a sound theory about the problem.... correct me if my logic is flawed. The way I understand it drum brake cars have a residual pressure valve that keeps some pressure in the lines even when the brakes aren't applied. There was a youtube video where a guy explained that his 70 disc brake Caddilac that he was dragging out of a field needed new brake hoses because when the rubber gets decades old it looks fine outside but swells inside to the point where fluid won't readily flow (unless pressure pries the line open)....What that does on his car is allow fluid to enter the wheel cylinder but not to return so the brakes lock and drag...
The hoses on mine are of unknown vintage. They look good and clean but are a bit hard and for all I know could be older than me.
So my theory is that the residual pressure valve doesn't adjust to pressure change when the pedal is not being pressed, and that the inside of some of the hoses are swollen such that they hold more pressure in the wheel cylinders than the residual line pressure valve but don't hold it indefinitely...If the switch is on the wheel cylinder side of the residual valve and the hoses and wheel cylinders are storing pressure and releasing it back to the brake light switch then that would be the source of the false triggers.

There's no way I'm replacing the hoses and bleeding the brakes in 30-40 degree weather for a stinking light...but I think I'm going to order new hoses for spring.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 10-28-2020 at 09:48 PM.