View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

He's a technician name of Jan Kopalek. For years he built Marshall amplifier copies using parts built, bought, or moved from other locations. He wound his own transformers and made knobs of epoxy using home made molds. Today in the old country, many of his amplifiers are still highly prized by their owners and command high prices. I think his largest cost was the British output tubes, hard to get in the old days and he offered a local substitute as an option. He also made mixing boards, with the name "Voijta" on them, his son's name. He and I owned a TV shop together in Dallas TX from about 1982 to 1993. Quite a character! and a master at audio repairs of any kind. He said the red color was transmitted, but he used to tell a lot of stories and jokes about the regime and the aparatchiks.

If I ever get back to the set, I will take care to document any tweaks as best as possible before alignment. I don't know if the video RF amp bandpass uses staggered tuning or no. Would not want to mess it up.

What standard did Austria use in those days? Channel frequencies? I vaguely remember some story about that.

The set had an option, an RF amp that could be installed in the cabinet if reception was difficult. I think, after reading this, there may have been many sold! I'll have to get to the back of the set and look inside, I'll take pictures when I do. There is a space in the set for a long chassis according to a picture, and the manual shows a chassis there.

It's all in the Czech language so I'll be a bit lost. I don't know much about OCR and how it will work with the special characters and marks, so dumping it in a translator may not help.

No Kowtow

Last edited by Opcom; 07-04-2012 at 11:34 PM.