View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithDude88 View Post
Anyways I've had a couple of Toshibas over the years more recently an early 1990s unit that was a 4-head Hi-Fi unit that the belts in it went bad and when I went to replace the belts the timing of the loading mechanism for the tape to the heads got screwed up some how and I was never able to get the unit to work right so I ended up scrapping it out.
The other Toshiba I had was one that was given to me by my High School I graduated from which they had bought them brand new in 2004 and they gave it to me because supposedly the unit quit working somehow but when I got it home and plugged it in and turned it on and loaded a tape, sure enough it fired right up and worked like a charm I even had its original remote for it but then I went to change the loading mechanism belt (for loading the tape into the deck) because it was starting to get a little sluggish and then the VCR suddenly quit working as in it wouldn't power on anymore and had a blank display on the front, so then I scrapped it and salvaged the belts off the unit. So Toshiba VCRs I've not had much luck with.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Yes, that's the carriage belt you were trying to work on, and once you timed it right, these were pretty reliable units. Your other Toshiba VCR from 2004 was made by Samsung, and Toshiba was not involved in the manufacturing process. So, blame Samsung first. If you think Samsung makes all reliable stuff that you now buy today, including LED TVS, think again...