View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
lithium is probably Ok, I use a silicone grease called Molycote- it wont dry out over time like some petroleum greases, or so the claim goes. It was expensive stuff ($30 for a small tube)(good to 300 degrees F)- I got a free sample from a vendor). Some types of 3 in 1oil can get gummy over time, or so I've heard. I use zoom spout turbine oil from ace hardware for motor bearings, and it seems to work well for that. for most changer parts i use grease. There is a product called Phonolube that is made for stuff like this as well.
Well I used the non-detergent 3-in-1 oil (the stuff for electric motors that's in the blue can) so I think I should be fine, I just used it to free up the size stop that's all I did I clean most of it out afterwards.

Anyways like I said its working fine now all it was was that the size stop lever that helps to make sure the tonearm drops at the right position in reference to where the size switch is set when the power switch is activated was seized up due to dried up grease so I just freed up that size stop lever with a little 3-in-1 motor oil (the stuff in the blue can) and put her back together again and sure enuogh when I put a record onto the changer and it the reject switch sure enough the tonearm fell exactly at the very beginning of the LP where it was supposed to and when I set the tonearm on the very last track of the record and let it play through the record player triggered exactly as it was supposed to and set the tonearm onto the tonearm rest and shut off the turntable like it was supposed to which it wasn't doing that before.
So it was a pretty successful repair.
Audiokarma