View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post

There are artefacts with both systems. Some relate to the udnerlying scan rates, others, such as lurid patterns on fine detail, are a side effect of the NTSC and PAL systems. These cross colour and cross luminance effects can be minimised by comb filter decoders which were much simpler on NTSC than PAL.
Back before about 1980 very few consumer TV sets had line combs. Just notch filters that assumed anything near the chroma subcarrier belonged to the chroma signal. Which made for the colored crawlies in referee's shirts and other luma fine detail. And few TV sets were able to display that fine luma detail anyway (above about 3MHz) as they low passed the luma to avoid showing the checkerboard chroma subcarrier pattern.

So if I ran a TV station back in the 60's and 70's, I would have low passed the luma to remove anything above 3MHz, and then mix in the chroma subcarrier, then transmit that. Thus producing much less artifacts on viewer's TV sets. People would say that my station looks cleaner... B&W sets made after NTSC color was introduced low pass filtered the luma as well, so those viewers would not see a lack of fine detail either.