View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Interesting. So would I be right in assuming the piece of gear to make such a measurement is quite expensive? I wonder if some university somehwere would have one I can borrow? I currently have both ilk of AXP tube, and I'm dying to put the 'phosphor' debate to rest once and for all!

What I'm really shooting for is to get a light sample from all types of tube, so we have a reference. Currently I have the 2 AXP's, a green FBP, a green FJP (sans lens), and a pair of grey faced CYP tubes for comparison. One of the CYP's is an 'A' version, not sure if that matters or not. That's the reason for the investigation.
I and some others have a Spyder 3 colorimeter, which is fairly good as colorimeters go, but not to be relied on for fine differences in the red phosphors, as their spectra varied the most with different formulations (rare earth vs. non-rare earth, for example). Cliff also has an "Eye_one" or "I1" spectroradiometer, which will give a true reading despite the spiky spectrum of rare-earth phosphors or the variations in bandwidth of the others. I believe the Spyder 3 is in the $200 or so range these days (haven't looked lately), while the spectroradiometer starts at around $1000 and up depending on what software you license with it. Packages range form monitor only to full printer/monitor/scanner workflow profiling and calibration. They keep changing the packages each year. It is also sold by Spectracal with a TV/home theater calibration software package. Used ones sometimes go for as little as half price, but usually more like $800, and are often missing parts of the kit. I would like to have one, but haven't seen one at the price and condition I would like, so I get along with the Spyder 3, which has been just fine for calibrating my computer monitors.