View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was around '99 when Philips/Magnavox TV's really started going down the toilet. Previous models were not bad sets. We had a circa 1982 19" Magnavox that was on more than it was off. We used it up until around '94 when the CRT became too weak to produce a watchable picture.

The RF connectors on most TV's from the '90's on up were not attached very well and it does not take much effort to rip one clean out of the tuner. I can't tell you how many TV's I've fixed that would either fall over while the cable was still connected or people would forget to disconnect the cable before moving the set and the result is that the RF connector gets ripped out. Personally, I've never done that because I never had any of my TV's sitting in a position where they'd fall and I've never forgotten to disconnect the cable before moving a set.

Those connectors are lightly crimped on from the factory. When I replace one, I solder it to the tuner. They'll do some major damage if they rip one out after I'm done with it. I've had a few where the tuner would become damaged beyond repair when the connector was ripped out; but, I've been able to fix a good many of them.