View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have an RCA XL-100 from the 90's, which I believe is a Thomson made set, and oh god was that TV a nightmare.. Within 5 years it died.. Dropping the TV 1 foot off the ground onto a soft carpet, would sometimes get it to kick start and start working again, and once it was on, it'd stay on until it needed to be turned off again.

Then when I took it apart as a kid, I couldn't find anything wrong.. When I later learned electronics, I took another stab at it. I figured, it must have been a loose solder joint. I looked all over the board, and couldn't find one bad solder joint, so I was left confused.

Then I noticed a nice big burn spot on the board. A transistor that helps start the TV, was burned to a crisp. I couldn't understand how a transistor only used to start the TV, could be burned so badly.. I was a kid, I usually either left the TV on or didn't use it at all (I didn't understand then about saving energy and stuff like that). I replaced the transistor with a different, but comparable part that is better.. So far the TV still works today, but is in storage now..