View Single Post
Old 11-26-2023, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

The problems were operator error, Jr was correct, I had never noticed the the very last time division setting was for X Y. With the scope maybe(?) now setup correct I am ready to go.

Note the first section of the scope output seems to be dead, regardless of the scope setting or the sweep settings. The first pic is while measuring the TV, the second pic is just from the B&K 415 and TV not connected:

On to the alignment, step 1 - 41.25 Trap Alignment:
  • Set tuner in-between two channels, I also have the antenna disconnected
  • Ground test points B, F, E
  • Connect from the "Direct" output to test point C, note the direct cable has an in-line 10K resistor
  • Connect from the "RF-IF-Video" output to test point G and set the function to IF and the probe to 75 ohm, also note I am not using the capacitor/resistor network as described in the Zenith service manual
  • Connect from the "To Scope Horz Input" and "To Scope Vert Input" to the X and Y (CH1 & CH2) on the scope and set the Sec/Div to XY mode
  • Alignment instruction state to center frequency at 43.5 mc which is not easy to see, with all of the markers shown in the service manual turned on I set the center frequency where the full wave form was visible
  • Alignment instruction state to set the sweep at 6 mc, there are no markings for this, the manual states the IF range is less than 1 MHz to over 10 Mhz), I left the sweep width at max, note from about 3/4 to max there is little affect, below 3/4 and I start to loose the waveform
  • Alignment instruction state to adjust the bottom slug on L4 to minimize the 41.25 mc response and then to adjust the top slug on L4 to further minimize the 41.25 mc response

Turns out I don't have the the right adjustment stick, mine is either worn or undersized, a 3/32 allen wrench fits perfect which is just under 0.1", I have order a plastic adjustment stick and will report back soon. Edit: adjustments sticks arrived, no adjustment was needed for L4.

Last edited by bhegges; 12-02-2023 at 09:28 PM.