View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Hi guys;

My Dakota has a 3.9L with throttle body injection. The old style push rod engine. Strange stuff, when I got her, she got similar mileage 17 - 21 hwy. But then the O2 sensor went. I tested it and could not find a fault, But I had bought a full exhaust system for the 91 accord from the junk yard. Both used what looked like the same 4 wire O2 sensor, both same point down stream in the system, far from the manifold, so I took the one off the Dodge, it made noise when I shook it, so I swapped the plugs, put the honda one in the dodge, and then the mpg took off..... It runs different now, On highway at certain speeds it has a bit of up and down with engine speed, not surging, just hardly noticeable. I think the O2 I put in may have a greater range to it and takes the mixture lower. Anyway I'm grateful at the increased mpg.
My '91 Dakota had a bad 02 sensor. It blew black smoke and the fuel mileage took a nosedive. I think it effected the catalytic convertor. At the test station, they said it'll have to be replaced, before the next emissions test.
I sold it to a friend, who only drove it for four years.
He installed a universal convertor, so it met emissions standards.