View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
The fact its likely older than their grandparents-And STILL Works- usually gives them pause, too
Yes, I like that moment too

Even though I'm not very old (38 now), I managed to use an old television set for its intended purpose. Moreover, we've become close friends back then.
Our house has an attic, but initially the attic had no heating (I made it much later when I grew up), so our family had used the attic not for living but as a lumber room and, from time to time, as a guest bedroom. When I entered my teens, I discovered the need of some private space where the parents don't come very often, as it usually happens in that age. One summer I fitted the attic out, and began to use it as my personal 'summer appartment'.
There I found a very old tabletop television sitting on a narrow commode in the corner. It was named Radium (mid-late 50s), my Dad said that it came many years ago from his sister's first husband, and it definitely doesn't work due to the age:

Unlike my Dad, I was a pretty technical boy. I found out quickly that the television works well, and the only thing it really needs is an antenna The picture tube (an unusual metal-cone beast for me then) was rather weak but still being watchable comfortably in a darkened room.
I liked my new place, so I decided to live there until the cold chases me away. I found another nice thing there, an army wadded sleeping bag that allowed me to sleep comfortably with no heating right till late November. I liked the television as well. Exploring it deeper, I found out that it's reliable as hell, and it is not afraid of either cold or damp. It has a bare-bones layout - no phenolic PCBs that tend to warp from the cold. Paper capacitors have a metal-porcelain design that makes them reliable and insensitive to moisture. No any modern television could survive and work there beside my 'old chap' Our neighbors, the ones who tried to use or keep televisions in unheated houses, had spoiled the most of them. Russian winters are harsh!
The early 90s were a time of booming of music television, a non-usual format for previous Soviet times. Russian division of MTV was established then, along with some domestic music channels. Music meant a lot to me as a teenager, and my lovely television set helped me in a very significant way, involved me to the musical culture. I've spent many nights in my cozy place watching it and listening to its sound, warm and mysterious...

P.S. I found out later that the television was made at the factory where my Grandpa worked half his life. He told me a lot of technical details about it.
P.P.S. Forgot to mention that the television has an onboard FM radio, imagine how valuable it was for me then!

Last edited by Gleb; 02-15-2019 at 10:42 PM.