View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 12:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I still use my Panasonic PV-4022 VCR, but not nearly as much these days since getting a DVD player (an LG BP-220) several years ago; my DVD collection is becoming almost (but nowhere near, yet) as large as my VHS collection. If I can find the DVD versions of shows I presently have on VHS, I will get the DVD.

Eventually, I will retire the VHS player, but not as long as it works and I still have my VHS collection. I have many videocassettes, mostly of old TV series and some movies from the 1950s through the '80s. VCRs still have uses if you have old VHS tapes; the only thing you can't do anymore with them, due to the change from analog to digital video in 2009, is record TV shows off the air. VHS video is all but obsolete, DVDs having taken center stage by now. I read somewhere (don't recall where) that even DVDs are on the way out, but what their replacement will be I don't know at this point.

Time marches on.
You can absolutely record DTV on a VCR....you just need a DTV converter box with analog RF ch3 output or analog composite audio/video input...Why you would WANT to record DTV to VHS these days is a bigger question.
There are DVD recorders that work just like VCRs (infact many were DVD recorder/VCR combos)...those are even fairly obsolete. There are 2 successors Blu-ray recorders (which are rare in the US because Hollywood) and USB memory or HDD based recorders...there are DTV boxes that will record the digital video directly to a USB stick or USB HDD and play it back. There's also devices designed to record from HDMI sources...I use one called the " HDML cloner box". VWestlife on YouTube did a review of some of its features. I use a HDMI splitter model that is known to strip copy protection from HDMI between the cloner box and cable box and record cable shows to a 64GB USB stick. The box will play them back or I can plug the USB stick into my computer and watch and edit video(which reduces file size by more than half) there. The graphics card in my computer has HDMI output so I can watch anything my computer can play on my TV.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4