View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

faint horizontal retrace lines on my Magnavox

I've finished restoring a Magnavox TV with chassis CT-214/218 variety. As I usually do, I'm feeding audio and video signals directly so I don't have to use a modulator or worry about RF/IF alignment. Audio is easy at the volume control. I usually feed video into the video amp tube after the detector. On this set, the video detector is actually a diode 1N34 that then feeds a 6SN7 tube before the signal goes to a 6AL5 for DC restoration and on to sweep/sync circuits. I have a good picture and sound from my DVD player, but I can faintly see what appear to be very fine retrace lines in the background of the picture, especially when there is no actual video present (like a blank screen in the movie or TV show. Is this due to my driving (over driving?) the video stage, or is this a different problem further downstream in the sync/sweep circuits? Are they the dreaded Barkhausen lines I've heard about but never experienced? Picture has great brightness and contrast, but may be just slightly overloaded from a too strong video signal being directly injected. I can get the picture just right with brightness and contrast controls (there is no AGC control). Any suggestions on making the retrace lines go away would be greatly appreciated.