View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Bob Galanter

Phill,

Leave it alone. Don't mess with it. Just put it in storage in your climate controlled home until such time as it may be a candidate for restoration. It is still sealed good enough that it is better than anything that you could possibly do to improve the situation.

Moisture is likely not the issue. The tube has O2 inside, and when the gun was heated via the filiment, the metal on the gun reacted with the O2 and caused oxidation of the metal in the guns elements. If the filiments had not been heated in the presence of the O2 in the tube, then it is very likely that the gun elements would not have oxidized.

Anyhow, no harm done. The gun is toast in any event and would need to be repaced or rebuilt if the tube is ever to be rebuilt after fixing the leak.

Best way to get a usable 21AXP22 is to wait for a clunker CTC5 to surface to steal the crt out of. The 5's still surface once in a while and I would personally rather have an opperational 4 than a clunker 5. The 4's have a better picture quality.. I have actually trashed a crappy 5 and made a 21AXP22 test jig from the crt, and associated cabinet components. Some day I will likely use the crt from the test jig to restore a worthy set needing a 21AXP22.

Be patient and sooner or later you will come by a decent usable 21AX for your director. I would presonally NOT do a retrofit with a glass tube. But that's JMHO, and my way of doing things. I would rather have a correct bad tube in a display set than an incorrect tube in a functioning set.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com