View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Questions on a Magnavox CTC12 clone

I just want to ask a few questions to check and make sure things are ok with this set. First of all the set plays fine except for some minor ghosting in the picture which i'll dig into later. The set's HV is set to 21kv and is stable with good sharpness in the picture and no blooming. It has new focus and HV rectifier tubes and a new shunt regulator tube. The H out put and damper tubes test like new. The H efficiency reading is 160ma which i didnt know could go that low and still operate well but it does. It is supposed to have a new FBT and by the fresh looking solder joints i can go along with that.

My questions are first after the set has been running for about an hour, i have checked the temperature of the FBT and the doughnut is nice and cool but the core is hot to the touch. Is this normal? It does have some wax drippage. Second, i can see both the HV rectifier and the Shunt Regulators filaments glowing almost as bright as the Horizontal output tube for example. Is this normal? I always thought the glow from those two were supposed to be dim and is why i ask.

I want to thank you in advance for any input you can give me on this set. I just want to make sure things are on point before i put it in occasional service as i don't want to run it and do unnecessary damage to it.