View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

in 1989 I got a tour by an old CBS technician of the CBS broadcast studio in NYC. There were two men in a very small room, one with a log book, the other with a stop watch. A football game was on. He said into a mic: "station break 15 secs." Then counted down. The guys narrating the football game began to mention "station identification and we'll be right back." Then the screen when black..... every station affiliate would have a designated time to run their commercials... whether they had the full time or short/long of it. What you see is correct. I notice this at night when they are waiting for the designated time for the broadcast (Late Night Shows) to roll their tapes after the evening local news ends. Sometimes, you see a second or two of a known commercial cut off. This is because they are 2 secs too long and got cut off.

I also was shown the 1939 television coaxial in which only two men were allowed to enter its caged in area. It was cloth wire wrapped around a large donut like shape.

The old tech started out as a camera man on the Jackie Gleason show. Did many of Edward R Murrows Person to Person, and walked past Ed Friendly in 1966 on the way to work and said "Hello Mr Friendly." Fred Friendly was in no mood... he just resigned as head of the news division over Paley running reruns of I Love Lucy instead of hearing to escalate into Vietnam.

Last edited by Montman; 06-17-2017 at 10:06 PM.