View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

update,
I'm constantly amazed at the power of a suggestion.
Reece's comment about adding an inrush limiter got me looking at the spot he suggested. Well the existing ground off the switch was not solid. so after reestablishing the ground, things are much better. The sizzle/crackle is gone and the unit powers up almost instantly.

I ordered a dial cover kit from dialcovers.com. and should be here soonish.

I put on a single application of red mahogany stain and about 3 coats of tung oil so far. I'll just keep adding coats till the dials arrive as tung oil is fairly thin and some of the veneer is rather porous.

A side note....On the inside of the cabinet there is still a service tag from work done on this unit (no date). It was serviced by "The Walter A. Norman Co."/Enid, Ok. (my hometown and where I reside now). I don't think this unit is too far from it's original home.
I've gathered a little info from some older gentlemen about Walter. Seems that as a young man during the 30's with no money for college, he taught himself electronics with whatever the library could provide. He later learned TV repair as well and had a retail store too.

I feel connected

martin