View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Duck, you sucker!

I'm glad I started looking at the caps in the horizontal area. Seems when I recapped I put the 10uf 50V cap in backwards. It was my fault as I didn't have a radial and didn't want to order just for one cap. I went through my supply and found some of the audio grade Nichicon. I thought I was installing a KW series which has gold band for negative, but I put in an FW which has black for negative so the gold casing threw me off and I installed the negative based on the gold side. Odd it didn't explode, though.

Anyway, the cap has been replaced and the backwards one not reads as 5uf instead of 10uf. Don't know what it was doing to the set (if anything), but it sure didn't have anything to do with the jail bars as they're still there.

I also thought I put in the 47uf on the horizontal output transformer as it had + on ground, but looking over the schematics and pictures I took before the recap, it is supposed to be that way. Looking over all other caps while I was under there shows those are all installed correctly.

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650

Last edited by TinCanAlley; 09-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.