View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can anyone summarize the advantages/disadvantages of placing new electrolytics in the old cans versus hiding modern caps under the chassis (as I have done on a few Zenith T/Os, a 1935 RCA console radio, and a few others)?

Which gets hotter, the space under the chassis, or inside a can with other caps?

More electrolytic questions:

- The voltage doubler circuit in the Zenith color roundie I am about to re-cap (24MC32 chassis, Photofact 769-4) uses an oddball value of 160μfd - can I safely take it up to 220μfd? (I might mention here that the doubler is unusually working from the secondary of a power transformer - not directly from the line as voltage doublers usually are).

- Do I need a high-current capacitors in this application since they are actually providing the B+, not just filtering it?

- A cap in the 120 volt source is specified as 4μfd at 475V! Is there some reason I need 475 V, or did the multi-cap C3 just happen to have an extra 4μfd cap at 475V so the design engineers use that one there?

Last edited by Robert Grant; 09-05-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added spacer lines since forum deletes the indents