Thread: New callsign
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 10:40 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
My first call as a novice was KB2KKX. Absolute hell to get anyone to write it down correctly when checking into a net (they couldn't read their own writing when reading back a net report because the X's looked like K's and vice versa) so I changed my call when I got the Technician upgrade in '90.

I would consider a vanity call, but too many people already know me as N2LCJ, so why screw with it

I feel the same way about my callsign, WB8NHV. This is the only call I've ever had, and I intend to keep it. I am licensed 48 years as of now; I am also a member of ARRL's Old Timers Club (joined in 2002). Won't be much longer (two more years) before I am eligible for the League's OOTC (Old Old Timers Club), since I will have marked 50 years in ham radio by then. I have never once thought of giving up this hobby, even though I live in an apartment building now and cannot erect an antenna for 2m or HF. I get around the latter, though, by operating on the HF ham bands using Echolink. (As well, I still operate 2m with an HT, and am a member of a local ham club here in Lake County, Ohio.) Some folks may not consider EL "real" amateur radio, but as far as I'm concerned, it is better than being off the air entirely. I did not work as hard as I did to get my licenses (Novice through General) just to let them sit in a drawer, gathering dust, just because I left a 3-bedroom house with a basement for a very small apartment over 20 years ago; this hobby means far, far too much to me for that.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.