View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 AM
M is for Memory

One bit of work it needs is some exhaust repair. Me and a friend are hoping to find time to do that soon. I've heard it suggested elsewhere that if I were to convert it to dual exhaust I could tack on a few more MPG...If that is the case it might be a good idea to just do it while I'm under there changing out the exhaust.

@ Bgadow: The potential compatibility of the 90's truck fuel injection/engine control had me asking the same question. But I have to wonder if there would be significant benefit in fuel economy or power without one being at the expense of the other? If it would merit doing, and there are no major stumbling blocks it could make for an interesting summer project.

@ Jon A: ROTFL That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. If mine was a 500$ junker (it's not), I'd try to find a smart car to park on the hood like a doggie treat...

@ jstout66: Well if it does like to slide I can always keep it parked when the roads are bad...Or take it out to a vacant un-plowed lot and have some fun trying to drive it sideways.

@ senior squirrel: Speaking of yachts, the last owner of mine was so slow in getting back to me I was looking at other cars, and considered buying a 79' Bill Blass edition lincoln Mark V...Now that version, which is white with the side panels painted navy blue, SCREAMS land yacht much louder than mine can.
Funny you mention loud engines and the Prelude. My friend had a 90's Prelude until this year and it exemplified loud high RPM modern engine. When he would try to accelerate it would quickly comply with a LOUD whiney roar. I've never particularly liked fast noisy little cars. I get the same feeling being in a car that has to really rev to accelerate as I do running a tube radio that hums louder than the audio coming through. And small+fast does not equal safe in my mind. If I'm going to be tempted to go fast I like the idea of something that has some real mass to it surrounding me.
If the old Lincolins are as sturdy or better than the new ones then it is probably as good as driving a tank. My friend was cut off by a Lincoln SUV in his prelude while I was with him which totaled his car, the SUV...It had some scratches, and a side reflector popped off...
I've never got my generations obsession with whiney engines, fart cans, and stereos with ridiculously excessive often distorted bass. Also most modern cars lack the sense of bold style of days gone bye, and the simplicity of design and construction that says "we took the care to make it so that if you want or need to fix it your self you can".
Cars to an extent have the same feel as TVs of their time...Older models have better style and a feel of craftsmanship to them, and while not as densely packed with technological marvels have the benefit of being much easier for the owner to be deeply familiar with, where as more recent cars, engineering marvels as they are, feel like they are made to impress, break and stay broken else live on as crippled horses.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma