View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Banned

Sankyo Model SCR-700 AM/FM "Digital" Clock Radio issues

Hello everyone a few months ago I went to the local Habitat for Humanity Restore and browsed around for a bit and found this interesting clock radio that was an early "digital" alarm clock radio digital in quotes because its technically analog yet because its one of those "flip-dial" style clocks that were touted as being "digital", but what's rather unique about this clock is that instead of flaps that "flip" revealing the current time, this one has rotating drums painted with different designs that when they pass over the "screen" they reveal the current time and the funny part is that the clock was made in Taiwan for Sankyo which is a Japanese company but it uses an Intermatic timer motor which Intermatic is an American Company (or at least it was at the time this clock radio was made, and I think it still is).

But anyways when I first got this unit the clock part wasn't working (as is the case most of the time with these old "digital" clocks).
But I took the unit apart and saw the that the motor driving the clock mechanism was the same type of motor that's found in your old Intermatic wall timers that are used to turn lamps on and off, which I had just so happened to have a couple of those hanging around for parts because they weren't working right.
Anyways it turned out that the main drive gear that went from the motor shaft to the step-down gears for driving the gear that drives the clock movement was stripped out so I took the main drive gear off of one of my old Intermatic timers and stuck it into the motor on this clock radio and sure enough the clock started working again.

Then there was the issue of the burned out incandecent backlight for the clock which was basically a 12V Wedge Base light bulb like what your cars and some stereo receivers use for their backlights that had wires pigtailed to it and was mounted into a wedge base socket holder, so I replaced that with a 12V miniature incandecent bulb like what is used to light the FM Stereo light on some of your old Stereo Receivers and now it lights up again.
Although I'm planning on wiring in a Wedge-Base light bulb socket to the thing so that I can put a wedge-base bulb in again, but instead of it having to be soldered in place like it was originally it can be replaced whenever its burned out.

Anyways the problem I'm having with this unit now is that the alarm doesn't work on this unit anymore, it has an electronic "buzzer" that when its set to sound the buzzer for the alarm it would sound off an electronic reproduction of the classic "buzzer" sound you would hear on the old analog electric alarm clocks.
At first it worked fine but then gradually over time the buzzer got scratchy and intermittent sounding and now it doesn't even go off at all period, and also when you have the alarm set to go off in radio mode the radio doesn't come on to the alarm trigger at all its just silent, all you hear is the alarm trigger being tripped but the radio doesn't come on.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the alarm on this clock radio to not work anymore?

Any information and or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Levi

P.S. Apparently this is a fairly scarce alarm clock radio model because I went to look up this clock radio model online and it returned zero results! Not even GIS! Also a picture of the clock in question is posted below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2902.jpg (90.5 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Celt; 02-17-2017 at 07:18 AM.