Thread: Peacock Intro
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 01:23 PM
<----Zenith C845

The NBC radio network (what was left of it by the late 1980s, anyway) was sold some years ago to Westwood One. Therefore, if the various feathers of the peacock logo represented NBC's divisions, the total number should have been reduced to five, unless NBC wanted the bird to have an even number of feathers. That would make sense, since it would look strange with only five feathers. Can you imagine the opening sequence NBC uses before every program showing such a lopsided peacock? I cannot, any more than I can imagine NBC sounding anything other than its signature chimes while showing the bird.

The peacock and its associated chimes were, and still are to this day, a permanent part of the network's history and should not be messed with, IMHO, under any circumstances. NBC was my favorite TV network in the '60s through about the '90s (not so now for news, due to the sweeping changes in the news division, but I do watch certain entertainment shows on the network), so I will notice immediately if and/or when anything about it changes, especially with anything as iconic as the peacock and the chimes.

BTW, regarding NBC's new "Peacock" service, I am wondering what the significance is, if any, of the three dots (on my Insignia 32" flat-screen TV, it looks like a solid vertical line about an inch or so long) shown immediately to the right of the peacock on certain NBC shows. The only thing I can think of is any show on which this logo appears is being shown on the Peacock service, as well as on the NBC TV network itself. I believe the Peacock service is available online only, not over the air; however, I have not yet seen any of NBC's older (circa '50s-'90s) programs on Peacock yet, so I have no idea what may or may not be going on. I guess my next step will be to go to NBC's website to see if there are any links there to Peacock, as there may well be. Since I enjoyed a good many of NBC's programs in the '60s through the '90s, I will no doubt enjoy seeing them again on the Peacock service.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-25-2020 at 11:20 PM.