View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggullick2001 View Post
This Westinghouse 12” B&W TV was purchased new by me as a child around 1966. It was used for probably 10 years after which it was stored in basements. Other TV’s came and went but I didn’t part with my first. I suspect it’s fairly rare (I know this doesn’t necessarily mean valuable) given the brand and the fact it was made in the USA just before that all changed. All the original tubes are Westinghouse Made in USA.

About a year ago I decided to fire it up and perhaps address the horizontal issue it had 40 years ago. Thanks to the internet. I was able to troubleshoot and locate a few tubes to correct it. It now works well for a 52-year-old TV, I’d say.

As a non-tech, I have a couple of questions on how to best preserve my old Westinghouse. Is it best to power it up occasionally? I’ve heard that’s helpful although being stored for decades didn’t seem to hurt it. I’m concerned that anything beyond tube replacement would be a problem that I couldn’t resolve. Also. would it be wise to purchase some replacement tubes in anticipation of future availability issues? I’ve heard the 33gy7 Compactron is one that can be short lived. I wouldn’t believe this TV would in use on anything close to a regular basis. Thanks for any information you can provide, and I hope this was somewhat of interest to the forum.
It looks to be well cared for! The basements it was stored in must've clean and dry.
The set was a bit more stylish than the Admirals, Motorolas and Zeniths of the day. IIRC, it was a bit more expensive than those.
The tubes used in that model are probably on the Dollar list at ESRC in Florida. Most but the 33GY7, which is a bit higher priced.