View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Hello Everyone today after work I found on the floor a late 1970s vintage GE AM/FM Clock Radio called the "Fidelity I" which is actually a high fidelity clock radio complete with seperate bass and treble controls a 5x7 oval speaker a super sensitive AM/FM Tuner with built-in antenna and external 300-Ohm antenna terminals, a display dimmer switch, and AFC for the FM Band. This little radio has really good sound for what it is and sounds pretty comparable to a vintage Hi-Fi radio. In fact when I first saw it on the shelf I thought it was one of GE's Super Radios (which it may very well be) until I saw the VFD clock dial on the radio. It also has a backlit tuner dial that still works when you turn the radio on using the mode switch.

I have some pictures of the unit in question posted below.
I'll bet the radio uses the same multi-purpose IC chip, as the Superadio uses. It's almost the entire radio on one chip, less the front end. GE used it in all their AM-FM mono radios, from the lowest priced hand-held to the Superadios.
It's amazing, that the chip can put out that kind of power, The radios sound great!