View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 02:15 PM
David Thomas

I had a '63 about 8 years ago. I would recommend checking the fuel pump, and if it's the original one, replace it.

Mine developed a leak, and (unknown to me) was pumping gas right into the crankcase as I drove it. One morning, it turned over slowly...followed by a loud "bang". I opened the hood to find my once detailed engine bay covered with oil and gas; the air filter top was blown off and laying on top of the radiator. When I pulled the dipstick out, gas and oil ran out of the tube. I since learned that is a common problem with those particular fuel pumps one they got some age on them.

Also, I would not recommend allowing anybody not familiar with early 60's Cadillac's to service the A/C system. They use a two-way vacuum assisted suction throttling valve to regulate the pressure, and adjustments by someone not familiar with that system will throw everything off. After a half dozen local mechanics gave up on my A/C, I invested in a copy of the factory service manual and followed the directions step-by-step for adjusting the pressure. To my knowledge, it's still working.
Audiokarma