View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm following-up on this issue that I originally posted in April (Sony KD-34XBR970, having trouble starting up).

The issue first occurred in April, then again in early August, and yesterday (late September), and each time I was able to resolve things by briefly unplugging AC power to the set.

I have read everything you guys have posted about the MCZ3001DB chips being the likely culprit, and I've also taken note of the fact that there are counterfeits out there to beware of. Way back in April I preemptively purchased some chips from Encompass Parts, as well as proper sockets for them. So, I'm prepared to replace them when the time comes.

However, part of me has a nagging feeling of wanting to be certain this is the correct thing to do.

Are there any measurements or tests I could do (without specialized/proprietary equipment) to verify if the chips are good/bad? Is there a typical separate root-cause for these chips to fail, or is the problem the chips themselves?

Also, since I'm able to get by -- for now -- by power-cycling the set, I'm hesitant to risk making things worse by messing with it. What general advice do you guys have for making such a repair? I'm relatively proficient with soldering/desoldering, but I have never worked on a CRT TV. Do I need to discharge the CRT before proceeding to work on the D board? I'm sure the answer is 'yes,' but I could sure use some guidance on that.

From the service manual for this particular set, it seems that some of the boards can flip or hinge for service access. Is that the case for the D board, or is it best to completely remove the board from the set and do the chip replacements on the bench?

I know I've asked several questions, and I sincerely appreciate your patience and bearing with me.