View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Huh?

Sven has a new home, but he's not feeling well

Whew.
Got me a cool Zenith B/W console, courtesy captainmoody (thanks, cap'n!) He arrived yesterday, MI to MD and only had one small bash--pretty good, considering the condition some other things have been in! Sure was fun getting it from the loading dock at work to my car, then from the car into my condo. Thank goodness we have an elevator!
Here's a recycled pic. Can't post a new one until I get my den shoveled out...

Since his style seems to be Danish Modern, I'm calling him Sven.

Anyhoo... I pulled the back off expecting the worst and discovered that only one tube had worked loose so I punched it back in. Connected a VCR to the antenna terminals and fired him up.

Well.

Got me a raster, though it's not quite as wide as the toob itself; no sound. Poked around a little bit and noticed that all tubes lit up except three--the IF stages (do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? I got that info off the where-the-tubes-are-sticker-thingie inside the cabinet!) I reseated all three tubes and got stages 2 and three to light but #1 was still dark. Could this be why I'm not getting a picture or sound? The tube is a 6BZ6 if that means anything to anyone. The set itself is model #M2737U with chassis #14M23.
If replacing that tube would magically make the set work, it'd be totally cool. I realize life doesn't work like that, though. And what about the horizontal width? Any way I can adjust that withough killing myself or putting out an eye?

Does the VHF channel knob pull off? The channel numbers looked good at first but then some of them looked like they got covered up. Seems like there might be a piece of tape or something in there that needs to come out. I pulled it gently a little, but was afraid to really yank in case I busted something beyond repair.
I'll get it one of these days!