Thread: Test pattern?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

The subject of patterns is one of the most fun because they are both entertaining, weird, and useful. There is a whole slew of unusual patterns on Laserdisc test discs and not all are static. Like TV patterns, many of those are made for using a scope to check signals in the equipment and not for monitor candy.

Over the years I have collected a few commercial pattern generators and have gotten rid of the Heathkits and such for the most part. I use a Tektronix 1400 series or Leitch DTG-1010 generator in the lab, or a portable Sony DSG-10 hand-held in the house if I am lazy (but it is missing the blue filter card, believe that is what goes in the slot). Sometimes I use a home made monochrome multiburst generator. I didn't build it but it came from an unidentified TV station's basement. I suppose an engineer built it up, perhaps before color as it is all transistors no IC, and it makes no color burst so it was likely intended to tweak up high resolution monochrome studio monitors. It's all perf-boards and hand wired with DYMO strips for labeling. A holy relic I have kept to honor the work of the unknown builder. I also have a couple of B&K flying spot scanners and those are nice because an approximately 4" negative film can be put in, and one could make one's own pattern that way but I have not done it because I don't have any experience with film and printing on transparency sheets has not yielded very good results. (those B&K manuals are on bunkerofdoom.com)

If there is a good sharp image of the Indian head pattern, I'd sure like to see it, seriously have a copy to digitize.

In Dallas, it's not easy to find a test pattern and most of the TV stations never seem to go off the air.

Instead they put on these awful droning or screaming, and lying infomercials all night, and even those sometimes have commercials in them. Who are the many brainwashed viewers hurrying to call and get that weight loss and mens' function pills combo, with the hair tonic thrown in? But wait, if you order in the next 10 minutes we'll throw in these love pills for the wife ! Now due to high call volumes, we're overwhelmed and only people with last names from A-J can call now, all others must call tomorrow! I guarantee that makes the K-Z cattle virtually leap to the phones!
I pity those TV-holics that work days and have only those things to watch.

Don't even have the decency to show old movies and play the National Anthem at some point each 24 hours. I miss that. I imagine they would play the Anthem if someone would buy the airtime. here's a plan. pay it for a couple months, then end the contract. people will call in angry about it being stopped. Would they dare to say they had to be -paid- to do it?

No Kowtow

Last edited by Opcom; 07-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.