View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM
David Thomas

Clegg 22'er Transceiver

Well, I suppose I must be a sucker for operating dead modes. After being active on 6 meter AM, I picked up a rig for 2 meter AM. Clegg built two different versions of these in the 1960's, the "66'er" for 6 meters and the
"22'er" for 2 meters. With a 2E26 final, they put out about 10 watts. Since it uses a pair of 6AQ5 tubes for modulation, it should sound pretty good on the air. I've read that Ed Clegg was very picky about how his designs performed and sounded, and I know I've been happy with the Clegg Venus I've been using on sideband.

I didn't have a crystal that would get me to the right frequency, so I ordered one the other day. Until that comes in, I can't test the transmit function. The receive side works very well. Surprisingly enough, it has a triple-conversion receiver with a Nuvistor tube in the front end as a grounded grid RF amp (high tech for that day in age). It seems to be very sensitive.

The only problem is the lack of activity on 2 meter AM. It will be back on the air shortly, but I might never be able to find anyone to talk to

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clegg 22.jpg (57.9 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Celt; 07-22-2017 at 10:14 AM.