View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I heared that the sound depended on the projectors - some offered better sound, some avarage sound.
Not only the projector, but also the specific film. Some sound tracks, especially with duplicated films, sound just terrible. Others sound surprisingly good. All are limited compared to any sort of modern sound. Films made by a major Hollywood studio always sound and look the best.

The main variation between projectors, is some have better or worse amplifiers, and some have better isolation from the intermittent mechanism than others. The high frequency response is dependent on focus, and some can be adjusted. Kodak projectors for example. It is absolutely true that a worse projector will have worse sound quality, and vice versa. Projectors with built in speakers sound universally terrible, you really need a good speaker up by the screen for good sound.

Keep in mind the 16mm sound track was designed in the 1930s, and never really changed since then. The technology of projectors improved, but the basic design of the sound track stayed the same. Even at its very best, it is still really limited next to modern sources.

In my home theater, I have Kilpsch La Scalas on either side of the screen, and the big midrange horns really help improve the sound quality of the 16mm sound track. Particularly with bad films, they make it possible to understand the dialogue.

What I really need to do to take things to the next level, is have the projector in a different room from the screen. The projector noise is another thing which limits sound quality big time. The first time I ran the projector I almost couldn't believe how loud it is, I wasn't at all prepared for it

Last edited by maxhifi; 11-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.