View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
Korean brand. I've seen quite a few

My first experience with a KTV set was in 1984, with a 12" set my parents sent me out to buy for my kid sister, at the then unbelievably low price of $39. In a clear case of bait-and-switch, the salesman repeatedly recommended the Magnavox priced at $70, only relenting when I showed him there was only $41 in my wallet.
I quickly observed that it had a superb UHF tuner, making it great for TV tropo DX.

Fast forward about 20 years. I bought a KTV1210 CLR when I rented a vacation cabin at the top of Lake Michigan, $5 at a thrift store in Manistique. Very unusual set -a 12" black-and-white with cable-ready electronic tuner, and no remote. The most curious feature was its cabinet - clear plastic. Only later did I learn that it was purpose-built for the prison population market (#24601 couldn't hide any contraband in a clear TV set). Performance was not as good as my sister's 1984 model.
I left that set up there, but more recently bought another, this one has an inmate number burnt into the top.
I have about five of the prison-vision clear models, Three have the DTV tuners and work like a champ! The are RCA TCE models. One is a green clear Zenith, made by Daewoo.