View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool that the cop had a sense of humor !

I'm going strictly from (faded) memory here so take it for what it's worth ;

Even before cellphones put the final nail in CB's coffin , there was an incidence of very heavy "sunspot activity" that made the CB almost useless . I think I recall sunspots going in a cycle , like they get bad every 11 years or something like that and that some cycles are less disruptive than others . I recall seeing the entire 27MHZ band being completely swamped (signal meter pinned on 10) with "space noise" and at that time just about all the hardcore CBers I knew hung up the mic or began running illegal power amplifiers to cut through the noise . After the bad sunspot cycle died down , some people still ran their kickers the space noise was replaced by "Mr. super Ego with a mic at 1000 watts* and it was then (early/mid 1980s maybe) that I hung up the mic for good . Since your thread has got me curious I guess I'll have to put up an antenna and see what the good ol 11 meter band is up to .

* FCC maximum allowed CB power is 4 watts for AM , and if I recall correctly around 11 watts for sideband .