View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I did, many were on all day, and all night..... Never saw a bad tube, the ones I worked on
I always turned the brightness down...... And vector screens always looked like new....
Actually there was only 1 with a weak tube, it was a table game, and it was really old...
I don't even remember what it was, and I only saw one of them....

The ones that looked like they had bad focus most likely was just dirt. I use to open them
up and clean the screens and the plastic and it was almost twice as bright when I was done.
retouch the focus control and it was good for another 500,000 hours.

I had one screen where I had to replace a driver chip in one because it had poor contrast.

The company I worked for after a game got really played out they would get a new board
graphics, replace the control panel, and out it would go again..... same old screen....

Besides the hand controls and coin mechanism, most problems were power supply, and for
that, unless it was a top of the line company like Sega, Atari, or Midway, it was just a little
$50. box that for the most part we just replaced as a unit. Top companies had real power supplies
with a giant transformer, no switching power supplies.

I think all that stuff was designed to be on all the time.... New they sold for $5K so no games
with reliability....

Last edited by Username1; 12-13-2014 at 09:31 PM.