View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 12:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Jeffhs, your first post has you all worried about needing to rescan your TV to change the OTA channel and asking us how to do it...without even telling us the brand and model of your TV.

Your second post indicates that rescanning your TV involves a lot of trouble.

You then disclose that you are not receiving the station OTA anyway, that you are receiving the station via cable, making your need to rescan your TV totally unnecessary.

You then confess that none of this matters anyway, because you don't even want to watch that particular channel...

So why did you even post in the first place? It seems that every few months you launch into an attack on your TV reception issues and long for the way things were in the past. Times have changed, and your griping repeatedly about it is not going to change things back to the way they once were. You've got to learn to accept that things change and learn to adapt to it. And if you have such difficulty with problems like using your TV because the remote confuses you, ask for the help of family, friends, or neighbors who can easily show you in person what to do.

My family is mostly deceased (my mother died in 1966, my father died in 1998; they had no other children besides me), and the few relatives who are left live too far away from me (or are too old) to be of any help. I do not drive, either. (I live in a very small town 30 miles east of Cleveland; most of my few surviving relatives live in the city or in suburbs or small towns 50 miles away.) Despite having lived here seventeen years, I do not know anyone in my neighborhood who can help me, as most folks here keep to themselves and are very difficult to get to know; to make matters even worse, I have no idea if they even know what a Roku player is or how to rescan a flat screen TV. There is one elderly lady in my apartment building whom I am sure knows nothing about TV; she has a Zenith 19-inch television very similar to my old Zenith CRT set, but I am told it is hooked up to a cable box. I don't know if she is still alive, as I almost never see her; haven't seen much of her, in fact, for years if at all. I do not know anyone else in the building; as I said, these folks keep to themselves and are almost impossible to get to know.

I am not kidding or making any of this up, and I am very well not trying to be difficult. There is one man who lives just a couple blocks from me, an amateur radio operator, no less, who will have nothing whatsoever to do with me; I found this out several years ago when I asked him for help on a problem I was having with something I was working on at the time. I left him my name and phone number during an amateur radio roundtable, but he never responded.

Believe me, again, I am not trying to cause trouble or to be difficult. I have tried to explain my situation here the best I can. It may seem unbelievable or even incredible, but that is, unfortunately, the situation I have had to live with for years, and probably will live with the rest of my life; in fact, as far as my relatives are concerned, it will only get worse, since they are all getting up in years, live too far away from me and refuse to drive this far, or both.

For the person who asked about my Roku streaming video player: No, the Roku is not a television tuner. It does not have a thing to do with RF signals or cable, just video streams, and it works only with stations it finds automatically over the Internet (there is no way to manually input individual television channels, as its remote does not have a keypad; a universal remote will not allow input of individual stations either). My cable service is such that I only get seven local TV stations, one of which is channel 43; this station will eventually move to a DTV subchannel of the CBS television affiliate because the former's RF spectrum was recently sold in an FCC spectrum auction.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.