View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
......Interesting side note I first became aware of GM's and most other auto maker's habit of offering the exact same vehicle under more than one brand with only the badge and grilles different between vehicles...One van was Chevy and the other Pontiac, and I could hardly find any differences...Till then I had never been in/near two cars of close enough age and type of different brands to notice this practice...I've grown ever more attuned since.
Yes indeed , when I was more heavily into my RC model planes than I am today I had an 03 "Chevy Venture" minivan to haul all my gear to the flying field . Good ol GM had at least two "sister" vans , the Pontiac "Montana" and the Oldsmobile "Silhouette" which made junkyard shopping for parts very easy , the only real differences were the exterior trim and badges , under the skin all three were identical right down to the smallest detail . Ford did the same with their 2003 Ford "Crown Victoria" , Mercury "Grand Marquis" and Lincoln "Town Car" (which I own one of today) . Sister cars are great for us for that one reason , parts availability , sure if you need trim pieces they gotta come from the identical car but almost all of the actual mechanical components are a direct interchange .