View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
If you are measuring voltage drop across the selenium rectifier, yes. With a DMM, polarity really doesn't matter. What is your B+ measuring right now, with the selenium? Note it now, so you can be sure to match it with whatever dropping resistor you choose.

The last selenium I replaced (in a drug-store tube checker), had 2.9 volts across it. I replaced it with 5 series connected 1N4007 diodes, and it is still plugging along. Just to show that not all selenium replacements require a resistor. My selenium was a Sarkes-Tarzian, rated at 400mA, so the 1 Amp diodes were overkill, but matched the B+ within 2 volts, good enough for me.

Cheers,
If the one you did showed 2.9 volts across it, am I reading something wrong somehow?

I've been talking with someone off the board that's told me that voltage drop can't be measured because of the AC leakage, and that I should start with a 150 ohm 25 watt resistor, and change values of said resistor to see how the set performs in each instance.

If that's true, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that I have a working television and a set of schematics, but that I still have to come to a proper part replacement purely by experimentation. I've got a lot of time and parts into this set, I just don't want to make a costly mistake.