View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The worst news is that the AC quit years ago. He had a mechanic replace the seals and recharge it but it leaked down quickly and he never messed with it again. Working AC would be a must.
I don't think my A/C has worked since the Clinton administration. The compressor and all is still hooked up, but the way all of the plumbing is done under that hood I won't even attempt the repair.

I've had two water pumps put on the van. That's one job that (at the time anyway) I flat out said "there is no way in hell I'm even gonna try". I've been putting off the inevitable changing of belts for that same reason (they're about 7 years old but not terrible). Forget working on anything in the front of the engine unless you disassemble half the front end and pull the radiator.

Again, old Chevys need a special kind of love. My van likes to be treated a certain way....she'll do anything you ask, but you have to treat her with a gentle hand and understanding. It'll last *me* forever, but in the hands of just about anyone else it'd give up the ghost within a couple months. I wouldn't hesitate buying another, but I just can't let this one go . I even rebuilt the turbo 350 myself for about $100 half a dozen years ago, pulled it out on my back in the driveway with jack stands on the front.

A relationship with an old Chevy van is like being married to an ugly soulmate. While you dream every moment of having something more attractive, you just can't bear to part ways because of how much it really contributes to your life......