Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Right here on the FCC site, 3.5 kW ERP:

" Licensee: WOIO LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC
Service Designation: DT Digital television station

Transmit Channel: 10 192 - 198 MHz Licensed
Virtual Channel: 19 (viewer sees this channel number)

Network affiliation: CBS

File No.: BLCDT-19991110AAR Facility ID number: 39746
CDBS Application ID No.: 428322

41° 23' 15.00" N Latitude Site in Canadian Border Zone
81° 41' 43.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Circular (H = V)
Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 3.5 kW ERP
Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 304. meters HAAT -- Calculate HAAT
Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 567. meters AMSL
Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 293. meters AGL"

For another web study on reception in your area, try 'TV Fool", but I suspect the results will be about the same, however : http://www.tvfool.com/

jr

I also gather , from reading through some of the applications on the "Application List" that the station is indeed, now running 9.5 kW ERP (and has for several years) under the authority of a Special Temporary Authority (STA).

This is all well and good, but I cannot understand most of the information. That FCC website was intended for broadcast engineers, not ordinary people like myself. All I know or care about at this point is that I do not get channel 19 (or channel eight) without cable.

I also tried the other site you mentioned (TVFool.com), but I cannot use that one either because I do not know the latitude and longitude of the area in which I live. Isn't the name of the village (or the city closest to it) enough? Why do I have to mess with those other numbers? If channel 19 is running at 95 kilowatts, I should be getting it here just using a piece of wire connected to where the antenna goes, and I wouldn't have to use the amplifier in my DTV indoor antenna.

Honestly, I wish the FCC had left the country's television system alone. The old NTSC analog system served us well for over 50 years; now we have a DTV system that doesn't work for many people without cable. I like my TV, don't especially care anymore how my favorite shows get here (meaning I don't care about the technical stuff behind DTV), and do not appreciate all this trouble I have to go to just to get the two channels I watch more than any other TV station in Cleveland.

Is there any chance the FCC will realize what a flop DTV is in most areas, and revert to the NTSC analog system? At least with that system there was a picture if your TV signal was weak; with digital, it is all or nothing. I like DTV from the standpoint of a clearer picture and more channels, but I can do without the reception problems.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-29-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Audiokarma